No matter what he does—rescuing the unemployed, insuring people with pre-existing conditions, getting us out of Iraq, ridding the world of bin Laden—the obscuring hoodie of his uncharacteristic life plunges his actions into a troubling darkness. No matter how familiar his face has become, half the country still cannot recognize him. The deranged “Stand Your Ground Law” that has had the effect of legalizing murder in Florida got on the books before Obama’s election. But since Obama became president, paranoia and hysteria have fueled the opposition to him, and laws making it easier to carry concealed weapons have proliferated throughout the country. Make no mistake about it. Forged in paranoia and hysteria, Zimmerman’s killing of Trayvon Martin was no less than a surrogate assassination of our alarming black president.
Lee Siegel, at The Daily Beast.
- kentaiwakawa3c10j11k reblogged this from curvyinthecity
- true-antagonist reblogged this from thesmithian
- goldie7 likes this
- lvmcf reblogged this from thesmithian
- astigmatizedvision likes this
- rhemament reblogged this from thesmithian
- solrebel likes this
- ije-uwa-amaka likes this
- monamade reblogged this from thesmithian
- thesmithian posted this